Friday, May 17, 2013

Screaming On in the Twin Cities Daily Planet

The Twin Cities Daily Planet picked up my column on Lao American Horror Poetry this week, "Screaming On." A few minor tweaks and changes from what I'd already posted earlier this month on this blog.

DEMONSTRA will be coming from Innsmouth Free Press very soon. I had to finish a last pair of poems to really give it a good polish, and trim a little fat. In addition to the work inspired by the work of H.P. Lovecraft and Lao mythology and history, DEMONSTRA will include most of the poems that originally appeared in my chapbook "The Kaiju and I" from G-Fan Magazine.

For those of you who are coming by this blog looking for examples of other Lao American poets who are addressing horror topics, I would turn your attention to the Hmong writer Burlee Vang, and the poetry and writing of Binly Krisada Phounsiri, Saymoukda Vongsay, Sery Bounphasaysonh, and Jim Vongsouvanh, although they don't necessarily write that much horor. You might also find a few examples in the work of Phayvanh Luekhamhan and Souvankham Thammavongsa.

I can see there are already some big questions emerging from this column, and I'll try to address those in a few follow-up columns later on this year. For example, how do we keep from promoting a culture of nihilistic pessimism if we see too much horror poetry without enough romance poetry or poetry with happy endings? But let me know what other questions you'd like to see answered.

No comments: