In recent years, we've seen a positive increase in the number of Lao and Lao American publishers in the community. We're still a long way to go, however, given that there are over 200,000 to 400,000 Laotians in the US, depending on how you count, and very few books written in our own voices on our own terms.
Some publishers to keep an eye on include:
- Dok Ked Publishing
- Mekong Press/Silkworm Books
- Lao Century Media, printing Thavisouk Phrasavath's work
- Big Brother Mouse, a children's book publisher.
- Baby Rabbit Press, which printed Saymoukda Vongsay's chapbook No Regrets.
- Kanoi Books, which printed Austin Outhavong's 50% Falang.
- GoKhoKho who also produce Bakka Magazine
Some are more established than others. But it's a start. If you know others that I may have missed, let me know!