The other day I ran across a list of influences I cited in the past. Writers and musicians who have been some of the strongest influences on my writing. Today I put together a quick list of some of the pivotal collections of their writing that I particularly enjoy, some assembled by the authors themselves, others, simply collected together well.
- Franz Kafka. The Basic Kafka.
- Jorge Luis Borges. Labyrinths.
- Samuel Beckett. Endgame. Worstward Ho. Company.
- H.P. Lovecraft. Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre
- Yusef Komunyakaa. Dien Cai Dau. Talking Dirty to The Gods
- Heather McHugh. Hinge and Sign
- Tadeusz Borowski. This Way for The Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen.
- Adrienne Su. Middle Kingdom.
- Leonard Cohen. I'm Your Man.
- Tom Waits. Bone Machine.
- Khalil Gibran. The Madman.
- Joseph Campbell. The Power of Myth.
- Hermann Hesse. Siddhartha. Steppenwolfe.
- Shuntaro Tanikawa. Selected Poems.
- Yevgeny Yevtushenko. The Face Behind The Face.
- Graham Greene. The Captain And The Enemy.
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Gift From The Sea.
Of course, there's always many, many more, but these are some that come with my highest recommendations.