Wednesday, August 29, 2012

[Short Story] A Model Apartment

One of my early Lovecraftian stories was "A Model Apartment" which appeared in the fourth issue of Innsmouth Free Press in 2009. Drawing from the themes of "Pickman's Model" and "Dreams In The Witch House," "A Model Apartment " also integrated some of the myths and traditions of Laos and the Hmong culture including an entity known as a poj ntxoog.

I've received a few questions about whether there was a particular Hmong artist whose work inspired this story. There are certainly a few candidates who come to mind who lived in both Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I'd probably approach the story much differently today, but it's one of the first widely available horror stories I wrote. I'll be discussing this and other Lovecraftian topics during the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival in Los Angeles September 28th-29th.

No comments: