Friday, May 02, 2014

The Laodyssey: Visalia


In the aftermath of the funeral of Pom Outama Khampradith in Seattle, it was time for all of us to begin our respective journeys home. Originally just a 20-hour drive for me, like any true Odyssey, it took a little longer and more than a simple straight line back.

There were many side trips along the way that led me to the different corners of Lao America. As I told the poet Binly Phounsiri on the final part of the journey in San Diego: "Do I understand what it is to be Lao more from visiting over 13 temples across California? I don't know. I don't think anyone can know. But I have such a sense of how many different ways there are to be Lao, for sure."

I'll sort all of the images and responses into something a little more coherent and comprehensive later this year, but for now, here is a preview: The Nak gate at the Wat Lao in Visalia, California protecting the dharma from bad dudes.

More to come...

No comments: