Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reading at St. Cloud State University, Nov. 18th

I'm reading at the Atwood Little Theatre at the Atwood Memorial Center on St. Cloud State University on November 18th to celebrate Asian Students in Action's great Social Justice Week. This year's theme is "Open Your Eyes, Here I Stand: Asian American," and it all starts at 5pm.

I'll be reading a number of poems including 'Hunting The Asian American Male', 'Midwestern Conversations,' and 'Japonisme, Laoisme,' among others, concluding with a short conversation discussion on how Asian Americans have often been invisible within American society and institutions-politics, entertainment, education, etc-and the effects of this on our community. I'll examine some of the personal issues its had on me as I grew up in the Midwest, and what I've done over the years to overcome those obstacles and gain visibility for myself and our community.

I look forward to seeing you there!

1 comment:

Avinsen said...

Sounds like an interesting discussion. Perhaps we'll be able to discuss it ourselves once you've gotten back from St. Cloud.